Symantec PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) Encryption is the email, texts, files, folders, drive partitions or full drive encryption with private recovery key. The PGP encryption uses various different types of series combination of methods to encrypt data for confidentiality and hack-proof, the different methods including hashing, cryptography of public key and symmetric key and data compression using the different supported algorithm in several levels and steps.
PGP Encrypted files or disk fail due to issues in either hardware level like bad sector, firmware or hard disk mechanical issues or software level like deletion of files or folders, drive deletion or disk or file corruption.
The data decryption and recovery are possible from proprietor recovery methods even if it has issues with software level, firmware or physical issues on the hard disk or file level issues, PGP Password and user ID is required during data decryption phase.
PGP Encryption corruption types:
- Encrypted Drive with detection, when the password is entered, the OS could not be booted or accessed due to issues in software or hardware failure, the boot-screen hangs in windows or OS screen and does not proceed further.
- Drives with half decrypted after the user has started the decryption process, or Drive with half encryption and could not continue due to sudden disconnection or issues in the hardware.
- Drive with detection, asking for “format the disk” after password insertion or without password screen.
- Drive with detection, having a lot of bad sectors, CRC or I/O Errors & slow reading & hence operating system could not be loaded or decryption using the normal decryption disk or process.\
- Drives half encrypted, during the encryption process, the process gets shut down due to power issues, hard drive issues, disk eject, blue screen errors or any other external conditions including abrupt termination during work.
- PGP Decryption failure, Error Code:162, without access to the original drive even after providing the decryption code, “Complete failure during an encode.”
- Could not start disk encryption error: – 11286 (authorization failed), Unable to start encryption: end of the file:-11988 (unknown request).
- Drives with half decrypted or half encrypted after the user has started the decryption or encryption process, could not continue the process due to errors in the hard disk and the drive does not respond after re-insertion of the drive.
- File randseed.bin got “infected” by a virus and decryption is not successful.
- “PGP Desktop is unable to contact your organization’s PGP configuration server.” when trying to open the PGP Desktop interface and decryption is not completed and drive cannot be accessed.
- Error messages like “parameter are incorrect, cannot access file”, “Drive is inaccessible”, “Format the Disk”, “Unable to Lock or Unlock the PGP Drive”
- PGP Decryption failed to fix the boot sector because metadata is not aligned to a cluster boundary.
- Hard Disk without detection due to firmware or Busy errors.
- Hard Disk without detection due to physical issues.
- Disk without detection with clicking noise & grinding noise & media damage can be recovered using our proprietary technology with imaging and data recovery after decryption.
When there is an error in the PGP encryption and hardware issues, the decryption process should not be run since the drive will be half decrypted and the drive will not be easily accessible without the proper use of data recovery methods.